Grace Episcopal Church
Renovation & Addition
Grace Church was designed in 1947 in the English country-gothic style by the renowned architect Milton L. Grigg. Cole & Denny Architects was commissioned to renovate the entire 43,000 SF facility to meet contemporary program needs and building code standards. All spaces – including the choir loft – were made accessible for disabled individuals, and the interior of the education/fellowship wing was completely reconfigured. The narthex addition was carefully designed to reflect the architecture of the original stone church. The education wing was enhanced with a entrance tower that houses a generous ground-floor lobby and new meeting rooms on the levels above.
Expansion & Renovation
Cole & Denny Architects was also commissioned to design an expansion of the original choir loft to provide space for more choristers and a new 3 manual & pedal, 38-rank DiGennaro-Hart pipe organ. A custom crafted wrought iron rail replaced the original wooden parapet, improving the view from the nave of its magnificent stained-glass memorial window as well as providing better views of the chancel for those in the loft. The design employs the heavy-timber vocabulary of the original interior and other motifs and materials used in the original design. The result is a space that is 30% larger than the original loft but fits seamlessly into the architectural context of the historic sanctuary.
questions / comments…