Back to all projects   

Parish Center & Classroom Building

Adaptive Re-use & Interior Renovation
Historic Christ Episcopal Church
Alexandria, VA
cc_east overall
Landlocked in its historic precinct, Christ Church purchased an adjoining retail building in order to accommodate its expanding parish programs. The new building, built in 1955 as a JC Penney store, contains 55,000 SF of space on two levels. Cole & Denny Architects was commissioned to redesign the 25,000 SF lower level for church use, retaining the ground level as income-producing commercial space. The design successfully overcomes the complete lack of daylight in the lower level by employing extensive indirect lighting, varying the ceiling height and placing interior windows between the gathering spaces and adjacent rooms to give visual relief from space to space. The facility includes 14 classrooms, a commercial kitchen, a choir practice suite, teen center and bridal facilities on a single level. link www.historicchristchurch.org

questions / comments…